Vilas County Zoning & Planning regulates metallic mining and metallic mineral exporation in Vilas County. All metallic mining or metallic mining exploration must occurr in an appropriate overlay district. Requirements for metallic mines are spelled out in the Vilas County Metallic Mining Ordinance. For more information about the Vilas County Metallic Mining program, please contact the Zoning & Planning Department at (715) 479-3620 or email@example.com.
- Vilas County Metallic Mining Ordinance
- Vilas County General Zoning Ordinance
- Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter NR 130 - Nonferrous Metallic Mineral Exploration
- Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter NR 131 - Nonferrous Metallic Mineral Prospecting
- Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter NR 132 - Nonferrous Metallic Mineral Extraction
- Wisconsin Statutes §293 - Nonferrous Metallic Mining
- Wisconsin Statutes §295 - Nonmetallic Mining Reclamation; Oil and Gas; Ferrous Metallic Mining
Vilas County Zoning & Planning regulates the placement, operation, and reclamation of all non-metallic mines in Vilas County. All new non-metallic mines require a Conditional Use Permit and associated public hearing, and all active mines require a Non-metallic Mining Reclamation Permit to be issued each year. Please contact Dave Sadenwasser in the Zoning & Planning Department at (715) 479-3734 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about Vilas County's Non-Metallic Mining Program.
Note: All non-metallic mining operations are subject to a stormwater permitting process through the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Contact the appropriate DNR representative for more information
Note: Non-metallic mining operations or portions thereof may be subject to DNR waterway regulations if located within the shoreland area. Contact the Vilas County Zoning Department at (715) 479-3620 or Wisconsin DNR Rhinelander Office at (715) 365-8900 for more information.
- Wisconsin Statutes §30 - Navigable Waters, Harbors, and Navigation
- Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter 340 - Nonmetallic Mining and Reclamation Associated with Navigable Waterways and Adjacent Areas
Wireless Communications Towers
Vilas County Zoning & Planning regulates the placement and erection of Wireless Communication Towers in unincoporated areas of the county through its Wireless Comunnincations Ordinance. There are requirements for most types of wireless communications towers and their supporting infrastructure (fences, buildings, etc.). Please contact the Zoning & Planning Department at (715) 479-3620 or email@example.com for more information on the requirements for the erection of or co-location on wireless communication towers.
New Wireless Towers, Facilities and Class I Co-locations
A $500 zoning permit is required for new wireless communication towers or co-locations which require substantial modification to the existing support structure such as the alteration of the height or anchoring. Permits may also be required for support structures, fencing, and land disturbance activities.
Public Safety Towers and Class II Co-locations
Public safety towers which are owned or operated by state, federal, or municipal govenments, or co-locations which do not require substantial modification to the existing support structure require an information report to be submitted to and approved by the Zoning & Planning Department prior to the beginning of construction. There is no fee for the submittal of the information report. Permits may be require for related support structures, fencing, and land disturbance activities.
Wireless Internet Service Towers
Wireless Internet Service towers which meet the following criteria are subject to a $75 zoning permit:
- Less than 200 feet in height and whose base can be encompassed within a two-foot radius circle, excluding guy wires and associated anchors
- Mounted to an existing structure and do not exceed 25 feet in height above the height of the structure to which they are attached
All other towers are subject to the permitting requirements for towers described above.
Vilas County Board of Adjustment
Vilas County Courthouse
330 Court Street
Eagle River, WI 54521
Phone: (715) 479 - 3734
Fax: (715) 479 - 3752